Monday, August 27, 2012

Ekorso

Today, we had another day of interviews. Leah and I went to a village called Ekorso with our interpreter, Seth.  We went to Ekorso with Seth last week too, but today, instead of interviewing the villagers, we interviewed village leaders and people who were a part of the water and sanitation committee.  It was interesting because they gave us different views of the boreholes than the villagers.  We learned that the community leaders believe that since the government gave the village the boreholes for free, the community members shouldn't have to pay to maintain the borehole.  They don't understand that machines break down, and the community can't fix them unless they have money.  The community members don't listen to the water committee because they are always asking for money, and they believe that if white people tell them that they need water to live and they need money to maintain the boreholes, then the people will pay a monthly fee for the boreholes.  They said that the fee would be very small, like 50 peshwas, which is less than 50 cents, but many families can't even afford that.  It's tough for them because people are uneducated about the boreholes and they need to be educated so they see the value in paying a levy to keep maintaining the boreholes.  After interviewing one woman who doesn't use the boreholes because the one near her was broken, her daughter showed us the water they do use.  We walked down the road and through the jungle a little bit and came upon a tiny little stream that looked very dirty.  There were tilapia swimming around in it, and it was pretty gross.  There are many water-borne diseases in water like this, but this family didn't really have a choice because they need water to survive.

Where some families get water from
In between interviews, Leah and I had to use the restroom, and these small villages don't really have toilets.  They have public restrooms, but they are literally holes in the ground.  So yes, everyone, I peed in a hole in Africa.  We have learned that you need to bring toilet paper with you wherever you go as well, because many places, even places with toilets, don't have toilet paper.  So appreciate toilet paper! I know I do after this trip.

The "toilet" aka hole in the ground


 After we were done conducting interviews and we were waiting for our ride to come pick us up, we did some things the locals do.  A little girl was carrying things on her head and she let Leah & I try, so we did. And we failed miserably.  I knew it had to be harder than they make it look, but trust me. It seriously seems impossible.  I couldn't let go of it without it tipping over.  These little girls carry these things without hands for support - it just somehow stays! This will forever baffle me.


Another thing we got to do was tie a baby to our back! The baby was super tiny and her mother tied her to us. The mothers basically lean over, put the baby on their back, wrap the scarf thing around their body, and tie it in the front.  It looks so easy, but I was so scared the baby would fall! She didn't tie the scarf very tight around me and I didn't get to hold her for very long, but it was still super cool! The baby girl was absolutely gorgeous - her eyes were big and brown and pretty.  We got to hold her for a while afterwards, too.  African babies really are adorable. 

Seth and the momma wrapping me up


 Doing it like the locals do!

Pretty baby!



They always want to take "snaps" with us and see their picture on the camera

After we got back to Abomosu and walked to town, I cooked dinner for everyone.  I had a team, but one was sleeping because she had a headache and the other one went to town and didn't get back until later, so I basically did it all by myself.  Darcy taught me how to make meatballs, and so i cooked spaghetti & meatballs! The sauce was super sweet which was weird, but it was tasty and I was pretty proud.

I really enjoyed my time in Ekorso today! It was fun doing things that the locals do! I'm lucky I made friends with the crazy outgoing Asian girl named Leah because she is the one who asks the locals crazy questions, like if we can hold their baby! Haha. I am leaving back to America in a week from tomorrow night! It's crazy to me how long this trip seems, yet how fast it is going! I am having the time of my life and I appreciate that so many people are reading my blog! I hope I am giving everyone a good description of culture in Ghana and my personal experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment